May 22, 2011

How To Quill Tea Cup and Vase



It’s been a few months since my last post because we’ve been in the throes of selling and buying our home. Renting in the meantime makes my creative head space chaotic, but I really wanted to address a comment left by a reader.


I received a request to explain how I made this design, and heaved an deep internal sigh. I have to fess up – it’s not as easy as it may seem. I have a  graveyard box of half twirled strips that were too long or too short. I try to resurrect these leftovers like a hopeful owner in Pet Semetery. Every time I try to re-do the same design, it’s as if the wrong side of my brain is getting tangled up and I end up not liking my second time around result. I don’t measure one-off designs, unlike the flowers I sell on Etsy, which I explain in a way that anyone could do. So I’ll do my best to explain here.



My coils tend to be very open and loose. I made the cup bottom first by pinching a corner (where the paper ends to hide the seam better), then a second corner, forming a dip in the middle.
The “tea” is a very open circle. This was my 3rd attempt to fit the teacup – just like Goldilocks. Even so, a tail stuck out, which I minimized with the handle.



The vase is also made by pinching two corners. As I glue to the surface, I would gently pinch the shoulder closer – it’s not always a docile item before I glue.



This ratio may seem off, but if I were to glue it down, I would elongate the vase during the time of gluing to give a better ratio. Vice versa, if you find your vase too long, just push the bottom up and have a wide style vase. I honestly don’t remember how I did this first card and how many attempts it took. So if it feels like you are trying and trying, and not succeeding, just realize I’m there too! Don’t give up and just enjoy the process – celebrate the pieces that do work out.

23 comments:

  1. I have a 'graveyard box' too! This design has worked out really well ... they all get used in the end LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What type of paper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous, I used quilling paper. They are sold online and in craft stores. The typical width is 1/8" and come in a variety of colors.

    If this is your first time quilling, I suggest the Twirled Paper book by Klutz which has the quilling tool, paper, glue and fantastic instructions. There's a link in my right column.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just starting. Thank you for the suggestion

      Delete
    2. Welcome to quilling MT! I hope you are enthralled as I am!

      Delete
  4. Hello !
    A very well done tutorial, as well as blog, congratulations.

    I just this year I discovered this art, which I instantly fell in love.
    When I saw this pattern worked for you I said I must have it.

    I congratulate you once again for the tutorial and all the wonderful things you've posted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicolina,

      Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to hear you've discovered this art form and that I've inspired you! Happy quilling!

      Cecelia

      Delete
  5. I looked at the instructions on how to make this - a little complicated for someone who has never done this before :-) Do you sell this design on Etsy, I'd love to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, thanks. You're right! I wish I had taken the time to measure it out, but I was in the midst of moving when I wrote this. I don't usually measure my items when I plan to give them away. I don't have it on Etsy, yet... :D

      Delete
  6. Nice one..Appreciate the effort taken to explain the procedure.Thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  7. its great .....but pls show how u made those 5 petals flower....its urgent as i cant guess the idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Korvaki, I sell instructions for the petal flowers in my store: http://meylah.com/craftingcreatures/quilling-flowers-pdf-pattern-tutorial

      Delete
  8. Love your teacup and vase. I am new to paper quilling and am having fun going through your blog. Thank you for the time and effort you put into it. Dragon fly header beautiful by the way. Looking forward to checking out the books you are in. Sorry for the rambling. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Becky, you're welcome to ramble away any time! Thanks so much for your kind words and a warm welcome to the world of quilling! I am happy to hear you're inspired by my blog. I'd love to see your masterpieces one day!

      Delete
  9. Love this, I am certainly going to do this one. I have been quilling for quite awhile now, but put it away and just now starting to get back into it. Thanks for sharing. I love anything tea/coffee related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, thanks for your kind words! I'd love to see your tea and coffee quilling!

      Delete
  10. Hi Cecelia, Congratulations on your book. I have been a card maker for awhile but have never added quilling. I have the equipment but just have never gotten into it. You have inspired me to get started.

    Thanks
    Fay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fay, thank you SO much for this wonderful comment! It's my greatest joy to have newbies take up this ancient craft in a new way. You've totally made my day!
      Cecelia

      Delete
  11. Hi Ive never done any quilling before I run 3 weekly papercraft classes for people who suffer chronic pain. I call it Craft2Distract as I have found it distracts me from my pain whilst Im crafting so set up this group in an effort to help others. One of the classes is for cardmaking another for scrapbooking and the third is for crafty projects. Quilling could be done in any of these classes so I would love to learn how to do some of your projects. I intend to buy one of your books but in the meantime Im checking out your blog. I love what Ive seen so far. Its very kind of you to share your work here. Thanks a lot for the inspiration your projects are giving me. I love the quilling not just to teach but I think It will be a very theraputic task to learn for my self also. Once again TFS
    Lilian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lilian,

      Thank you for such kind words - I'm truly flattered!

      I'm so glad you found my blog and that you find my projects help you with your chronic pain. I could have no better thanks than emails like yours. I love hearing how a simple craft such as quilling brings such happiness to so many.

      I wish you much success with your Craft2Distract classes and in helping others!

      Cecelia

      Delete
  12. hi my name is Heba, I have quilled before and I am in love with your projects! I love arts and crafts in general and I wanted to know if you studied this or like took classes do be this talented or if its just your natural talent or hobby.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Heba, and thank you so much for your kind words! I started quilling in 2006 when I bought the book Twirled Paper by Klutz. I simply enjoyed being able to make custom cards for all the people I loved and improved each time I did another project, just like any "talent" in life - everyone improves the more you do anything. I hope to devote more of my time to my paper crafts and am thrilled to have you along.

      Cecelia

      Delete